Bradmill was established in 1927 in the Melbourne suburb of Yarraville as ‘Bradmill Cotton Mills’ and later became ‘Bradmill Textiles’, mainly producing workwear fabrics.
In 1945 the company began producing denim, becoming its only manufacturer in Australia which later lead them to focus more towards the fashion industry.
The first indigo dyed denim was produced in 1962 followed by the manufacture of stretch elastomeric yarn in 1966 designed for socks. After a major plant upgrade in 1980, stretch denim was introduced to the Australian market in the same wash treatments, weaves and colours as rigid denim.
In the early nineties Bradmill joined as part of the Australian owned company ‘Bradmill Undare Group’ becoming the largest exporter of cotton textiles in Australia.
In 2002 Bradmill Pty Ltd was set up to continue as ‘De Lutis Group’ beginning the reduction of Bradmill’s workforce to less than 100 by 2005 followed shortly by its end.
By 2006 the proposal for the site to be used to facilitate a new residential community had been put forward leaving the mill standing, at least in part due to its heritage listing. Which could mean that it could continue to be used as a canvas for artwork such as the ones featured in the following photos.